Tuesday 20 September 2016

Kirstenbosch at its best

What a beautiful day for a walk in Kirstenbosch! Being pensioner's day, I got in for free, but only after the cashier used a calculator to work out whether I was 60! The mind boggles!
Naturally the place was packed with everyone over the age of 60, and in particular the ever-popular tearoom, where plates piled with waffles, scones, cream and berry coulis were being scoffed with glee! I was going to have a sedate grilled fish and salad, but weakened for an Eggs Benedict, which was excellent but far too much and a tad rich. To compensate for my gluttony, I set off for the upper reaches of these magnificent botanical gardens, dodging walking sticks and zimmer frames as best I   could.
But seriously, I have never been any good at climbing hills or stairs without stopping frequently to catch my breath (I have an aunt who is similarly afflicted and it has nothing to do with fitness), and even those who looked 20 years older than me took the climb briskly. Armed with hats, backpacks and stout hiking boots, they put me to shame as I slung my Guess handbag over my shoulder and plodded ever upward. At least I was wearing walking shoes!
The vistas were vast and the proteas and pincushions perfect. See for yourself!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment