Tuesday 6 September 2016

Supine

It's three years since I was last felled by the flu, but I seem to have succumbed to what everyone else has. Head cold, straight to chest. HWCFA asserts that I must have caught it in a coffee shop, in which he thinks I spend an inordinate amount of time. Different strokes for different folks, I say. There could be worse ways to catch a virus.
So after a night of trying to sleep sitting up so I could breathe, the dogs all decided to join in the fray at 4am, one weeing on the mat (I wasn't about to go outside) and the other vomiting. The joys of pet ownership - it's lucky they are such nice doggies.
Having no need to get up,  I decided to take full advantage of the opportunity have total me time - Antiques Roadshow, Great British Bakeoff, Masterchef, Come Dine With Me ... now I'm all tv'd out and got it on music.
It's a vital part of life to take time off to vegetate and meditate. I can see the sea and ships going by, someone else is doing the minimal chores and I am indulging in some R & R. There's nothing to achieve by being on the go all the time. It's not a measure of success or self-worth, and we shouldn't have to be ill to have time off. I'm all in favour of lying in the shade of a tree staring out into space through its green canopy. It is all that is required to restore the soul and it costs nothing.
But today I am happy to cuddle under the covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment