Friday 2 September 2016

New raptor comes to visit

I've turned my workstation around so that if I look up from the computer I can see out of the window. And not a moment too soon! This morning a movement caught my eye and blow me down! It was a juvenile raptor that I had never seen before landing on the peak of the neighbour's roof,  level with my line of view. I leapt up and grabbed the first camera I could find, my cellphone (probably the best choice), and ran to the window. I managed three quick shots before Cleo's frantic barking scared it off and then was lucky enough to catch it in flight. Mango Kitty was cowering on the deck without taking her eyes off it, obviously thinking she might be the object of its attention!
It was a substantial size and I sent out requests for id to a couple of birding sites on Facebook, where it was concluded that it was a juvenile gymnogene.  Exciting stuff! I hope it becomes a regular visitor - I have a good supply of food for it!


No comments:

Post a Comment