Sunday 6 September 2015

Slightly reined in

I have driven a variety of cars over the years, my favourite being the old BMW 7 Series that was sheer driving pleasure, except when it had problems! Not for nothing are they known as BMTroubleyous. However, despite the trouble it gave me, it was a fabulous drive. But the thing I have really longed for over the last ten years is a car with power steering and airconditioning. I don't need anything else.
So I became the proud owner of a little runabout a month ago - I needed something to nip around the neighbourhood in with the two aforementioned requisites and we also need one car per person in this family as we are all going in different directions simultaneously. This previously loved runabout, sometimes disparagingly referred to as 'half a loaf of bread', fitted the bill admirably, except for one major drawback. The engine capacity is 999cc - this doesn't quite meet the requirements of my driving style, which I would refer to as 'confident' or 'decisive'. In other words, 'he who hesitates is lost' or 'take the gap'.
I've always been partial to pulling away from a Porsche or dicing an M3 at the robots - if I can make it to the other side of the intersection first then I'm happy! But there is no way that will happen with the new car. For the time being I will have to consider these my doddering days and be content with just getting to my destination without the thrill of the chase.
My rally driving days are temporarily over and I am in retirement, as is Sebastien Loeb. But if the opportunity presents itself in the form of a high-powered muscle car, it will be a-roadtripping I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment