Thursday 17 September 2015

Having special times

Isn't it funny how unplanned events can be some of the best times? Yesterday I dragged myself away from the computer to do a few essentials at the mall. As I passed my favourite coffee shop under the milkwoods at the end of my road, I spotted a friend's car and decided to join her for a quick coffee before heading out of Kommetjie. In no time at all, another friend had joined us and five of us lolled in the sunshine, feet up on the benches, enjoying each other's company with much loud laughter and stimulating conversation. It wasn't long before other patrons disappeared - in fact, even the waitron didn't come back. Perhaps no one wanted to disturb what was obviously a good time being had by all.
The time passed and every so often I would dig in my pocket and drag out a short list (four items) of what I was supposed to be doing and mumble about really needing to go to the mall and actually having a lot of work to do. This would be greeted by catcalls and raucous laughter and the scrap of paper would go back in the pocket.
Eventually lunch was had and as early afternoon drew on, we dragged ourselves away from the sunshine and off to complete the day - needless to say, I didn't go to the mall; that awaits me still.
The point of this story is that one should never pass up the opportunity to spend time with people who make you laugh, empower you, make you feel good about yourself and where you are going with your life and have really interesting things to talk about. The mall, the shopping, the work can all wait a little longer - they will all be there later. But the moments with good friends should be savoured and used to restore the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment