Saturday 1 August 2015

A glittering day

There can be few more desirable places to be than basking on a rock at high tide on the bay near my house. Bright sunshine glitters on the sea, but the air temperature has a pleasant iciness and the translucency of the peppermint green waves is an indication of a sea temperature well below 10 degrees. Surfers are unfazed by such minor considerations, when the lure of a heavy break at Outer and Inner Kom beckons, and some of them are well below the age of 10, displaying early signs of a lifelong love affair with the waves.
Piles of rotting kelp drape the tumbled boulders, with a buzzing cloud of kelp flies hovering, and a fat wagtail simply perches on a pile, opening its beak and snapping up a meal without even aiming, such is the proximity of its prey. Vast swathes of greenery cover the area, and in a few short weeks, this will be snow white with the daisies that provide a Spring display to rival that of Namaqualand.
On either side on me, professional photographers take aim with enormous lenses - up to 50cm long, I would guess - to capture every detail of the action, while I simply snap away with my little cellphone. I would love to have their equipment, but it rather takes away the spontaneity and excitement of the moment (for me) to have to sit there for hours and so I will have to rely on my visual memories more than digital!


No comments:

Post a Comment