Sunday 14 June 2015

That old shirt

We all have a favourite item of clothing, don't we? I know I do, and nothing brings that home more than looking through photographs and seeing that I am wearing my favourite purple shirt in nearly every one! Whether at home or abroad, the faithful purple shirt appears, rather like the garden gnome that Amelie photographed to give the impression that she was travelling the world. At least I don't look like the garden gnome! The sad part is that the shirt is fading and will one day be a pale purple consigned to the 'clothes only suitable for gardening' pile.
In winter, people will be forgiven for thinking that I only have one long-sleeved top, as I wear it as the basis for every outfit, but I do have four of them and so have the opportunity to wear a new one every day. The accessory depends on the destination, although I find that anything too smart raises eyebrows, living in this casual little village by the sea, and so those clothes lie untouched in the wardrobe.
I long to wear long, flowing, colourful dresses, but my children have voiced horror at the thought of such attire on their mother and so I must bow to their better judgment. I have often thought I would look quite becoming in a sari, but that would obviously be totally inappropriate and attract more than one skew look at the mall, where the favoured mode is baggy tracksuit pants and a cheap t-shirt.
So for the moment it will have to be jeans and jerseys, but come summer, who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment