Tuesday 30 June 2015

Cutting back the aliens

The rasping, raucous sound of chainsaws rends the air. The huge willow-like tree next door is being cut down, having grown from a sapling to the height of a double storey and as wide, with a trunk a metre across at the base within about 10 years. The long, thin leaves fall all year round, providing a thick layer of mulch over my vegetable patch and surrounding garden area, but not the sort I want as it doesn't seem to have much capacity for decomposition and merely serves as a source of extra raking.
The reason for its rapid growth and vast size is because its roots are firmly in the underground reservoir some 8 feet down that exists in the back corner of my garden, where we sank wellpoints to take advantage of free water some years back. I can only imagine that without this tree sucking the water up the water table will be considerably higher and allow for extended watering capabilities on my side and lush growth in the garden. Perhaps the vegetables will attain maximum size due to the increased sunlight as well.
If I could get rid of the two incredibly invasive Brazilian peppers that grow on my side, a whole new garden could be created, and let natural light into the neighbour's house for the first time ever. But HWCFA has fixed views about cutting down trees, no matter how alien, and whines like a stuck pig if I get over-enthusiastic with pruning. I think I should just put in an ecoplug and the deed will be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment