Wednesday 10 June 2015

Silver birds

The skies over Kommetjie have been literally abuzz with aircraft lately, probably taking advantage of the perfect weather to get in some practice hours. I have never lost the enthusiasm for rushing outside at the sound of a plane going over and gazing up until it has disappeared from sight. I suppose it is an inner yearning for travel and to see the world.
There are a few people from Kommetjie that I know of who fly small planes, and doubtless the pair that flew over in close formation a day or two ago had come to waggle their wings for the family. They were so low I thought the palm trees were at risk (exaggeration for effect), and the engine of the one behind sounded a little unhealthy - certainly not what I would hope for if I was in it! Not long after, the regular gyrocopter went by, also very low and soon there were photos on Facebook for us to enjoy, or not, in the case of raw sewage spilling out into our seas.
A funny sight was a little plane towing an advertising banner - we don't see much of that any more, as I should imagine it's very expensive although the reach is good! It didn't come close enough to read, but I like to think it was a message such as "Marry me, Mary" or something similar!
I try to take photos of these aerial visitors, but invariably by the time I have hit all the buttons to set up the camera or phone, the plane is long gone. I received plenty of good natured jeering for my recent photo of a large gum tree with a Dakota hidden from view behind it, and nothing goes slower than a Dakota!
It is time for me to travel again, and I will be heading to the airport in July, not to fetch or drop someone, but to climb into that silver bird once more and wing my way to Europe for a brief summer! I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment