Saturday 4 April 2015

Upgrading to a tablet - the good, the bad and the ugly.

After a technologically fraught day out the other day - I had no means of paying our staff wages and my phone battery had died so I was out of touch with the family - I took a big step forward (I suppose) and upgraded to a tablet, so that I never again have to look for wi-fi or struggle to read the small print on a tiny screen. This will allow me freedom to be out and about, gallivanting to my heart's delight, and still manage my commitments without having to stress about them. So today I spent two hours at the Vodacom shop setting up all the apps and passwords, bluetoothing away like a pro, and then spent the entire afternoon trying to set up my blog on the tablet. I did manage to do it once, by changing my email address and password to match the original blog setup, but the next time I wanted to open the site, it just didn't work. So lots of effort to go into that still. However, my trusty little notebook computer will do the job for now.
There is just one major drawback. I didn't really think deeply enough about the consequences of upgrading my primary phone number and as a result it is now linked to a 10" tablet! I have seen someone walking down the mall with one of these attached to her face, chatting away, and remember how stupid I thought she looked - now it seems as though I may be in the same boat! The logistics of coordinating all these devices are mind-boggling. I will have to see whether I can have my secondary number linked to the tablet and put my primary number back in the cell phone, and if this can't be done, I will have to send out a whole bunch of messages changing my number after some 15 years. I really don't want to do that. If anyone knows of an easy way to solve this, please let me know!
In the meantime, I'm enjoying the big screen and superfast internet. I've downloaded Sudoku, so I'll never be at a loss for something to do when queuing. The next will be Scrabble, although from what I've seen of the computer's contribution, some really dodgy words are used by it and I may have to cry foul!

No comments:

Post a Comment