Monday 27 April 2015

Birthday blessings

Another birthday has come and gone, celebrated as always on the public holiday they instituted specially to honour me (only kidding, Freedom Day here in South Africa, just a coincidence, but I feel my birthday is more of an occasion to celebrate these days). It started most auspiciously with a message to join special friends for breakfast at a very early hour up the road at the coffee shop we frequent. What a lovely time I had, more so because it was unexpected, and the company as always was a hoot.
I had risen early to put the leg of lamb in the oven - it's a 7-hour recipe and needed to be ready by 1pm - and so all food preparation had been done. The family, Mom, Dad, sisters, etc. were bringing various other bits of the meal and I had ordered a large lemon meringue pie from another restaurant on my favourites list. This had been collected yesterday, and regrettably, only a few slices remained to feast upon today, the family having tucked in rather too liberally last night. Another one had to be collected and that too was fallen upon like vultures at a kill. So a success, I would say.
Lunch was a veritable feast and we all ate too much, as always. The dishwasher ran three times to sort out the washing up. I could not live without it. After a brief rest, we took ourselves down to the rocks to burn 100 calories and lounged like rock rabbits in the at the foot of the lighthouse, enjoying the Atlantic rollers tumbling over the rocks and the odd brave surfer riding some impressive swells. I clambered down the rocky bank to the ledges where piles of fresh kelp, recently torn from its anchorage, lay tangled and glistening in the late afternoon sun. This is ideal for chopping up and digging into the soil around the lemon tree, which will bear many lemons for your trouble. I dragged a medium sized piece all the way home - great exercise for all the muscles and hopefully burning off more than 100 calories!
An overwhelming number of good wishes from friends far and near were the cherry on the top of a really delightful day, so thank you, one and all!
Three sisters relaxing like dassies in the sun
 

No comments:

Post a Comment