Wednesday 15 April 2015

Tracking raptors

As you know, dear readers, I take many pictures of the raptors that settle in the old gum tree next door, and take great pleasure in observing these noble birds. They come to prey on the large flock of pigeons that I feed every day, ensuring a plentiful supply of food in an area where I can watch them from the comfort of my balcony. A cunning plot, I think, although I haven't mentioned this to He Who Can Fix Anything. He has made pets of two of the pigeons, Hoppy and Poppy, who have roosted in our eaves and bred on the roof for many years now. He feeds them in the garage, as they come inside looking for food if we are a bit late, and thinks that Mango and Biggles are their greatest threat. It will be a good thing, therefore, if they don't become the sparrowhawks' dinner.
Sighted on 28.2.15

I took a photo of this one two weeks ago and again yesterday, thinking that the ruffled feathers were an indication of an attack by another bird, and sent it off for identification (from the rings on its legs) to the people who capture and track these raptors. They were thrilled to get some feedback on their project, and identified it as one that had been fitted with a radio tracker on its back (hence the ruffled feathers) in August 2013. The tracker stopped working shortly after it was fitted and they suspect it is because it spends too much time in the shade - the solar cell has not charged. Plans are afoot to recapture it and sort out the problem - this sounds right up my street - I think I will see if I can be there and get to hold it!

No comments:

Post a Comment