Thursday 23 April 2015

The hanging gardens grow!

The hanging vegetable garden is growing apace. Regular picking of cos lettuce, rocket, origanum and soon spinach is taking place and we no longer have to rely on a pillow pack of well-handled limp lettuce from a retailer to provide us with a crisp and nutritious base for a meal. The containers require no maintenance and very little watering as they are under shade cloth, and I don't have to break my back bending or even worry with weeds as the compost is weed free. Butterflies can still cause havoc if they lay eggs, but I will keep a close watch for chomp marks. Snails definitely won't make the climb up the central pole, along the crossbar and down the strings - hopefully an observant bird would spot them on the journey - as it seems a bridge too far for a slow mover.



With only ten containers in operation and room for at least twenty-five more, the prospects of self-sufficiency in the greens department are looking good. That is, if the baboons don't make a reappearance after an absence of nearly three years. Then I can kiss a vegetable garden goodbye.
I planted two grenadillas and a fig tree (talk about encouraging the return of the baboons!) nearby, as this corner of the garden has never been used in thirty years and is sunny and sheltered - perfect for fruit and veg growing. If my attempts at market gardening are again thwarted by baboons, I will give up. I will scatter random seeds of meadow flowers and abandon that corner to its own devices! 

No comments:

Post a Comment