Sunday 29 March 2015

Surrounded by beauty

The southeaster is still pumping across the Peninsula this late in March, sending dragons over Chapman's Peak yet again.

Here in Kommetjie, it has not been as windy as other parts of the Peninsula, as I found out when I had reason to travel to Simon's Town via Scarborough and Red Hill, one of my favourite drives. At Witsands, the kiteboarders and windsurfers were out in droves and they were lucky I wasn't among them, as I am quite sure (if I ever attempted such a sport) that I would soon have tangled myself up in all those strings! I wonder if that happens ever - it would certainly ruin anyone's day out. The sea was wild and turquoise and just magnificent - what a place we live in!

Over the hill in Simon's Town, the sea was a mass of white horses galloping towards the shore. Little yachts strained at anchor in the sheltering bay, which wasn't doing such a great job today, while our small flotilla of warships bobbed at the quay on more substantial moorings. Swathes of cloud and sea air obscured the view across the bay, normally so stunning with the late afternoon sun warming the mountains - today one could hardly see them. This in no way detracted from my enjoyment of the view - another great reason why Cape Town is so high on the list of favourite destinations.
Back home, the George lilies continue to delight, bursting into bloom overnight at regular intervals. They are the most rewarding flowers I have ever had, and seem to thrive exactly where they are with the minimum of fuss - long may they last!


No comments:

Post a Comment