Friday 20 March 2015

A frightened francolin

I was sitting at my desk on the balcony (indoors) this afternoon when a large bird came flying past my head in a panic, chased by Mango Kitty! It was a francolin (Cape spur fowl) - about the size of a chicken - and a panicked francolin in a confined space is quite something. It battered itself against the windows, flying from room to room. The only way to catch it was  to pin it against the window. It was difficult to get control of those powerful wings and fortunately its large beak was facing away from me. Eventually - I suppose in seconds but it felt like a long time - I had a grip and managed to get it outside without the dogs and cats having a second chance. But the amount of feathers that fell out was alarming. I hope it recovers and doesn't die of heart failure after such a panic.

I have no idea how it got into the house as there is no way the cat could have held such a large bird in her mouth. I can only imagine that Mango was stalking it on the front lawn and it flew up to escape, but the chances of it coming into the house are so small as to be impossible. We often have doves that fly in through the open sliding windows and the occasional small bird brought in by the cats, but this was an experience I hope not to have again. Luckily nothing was broken, but it could have ended very badly if I hadn't been around to catch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment