Friday 13 March 2015

Out of touch

There are few times in today’s life when we feel more disconnected from the world than when our internet connection is down. We have become so accustomed to being in constant contact with those we follow on social media that any break in communication is akin to being cast away on a desert island. How can we share our innermost thoughts? By the time the connection is reinstated, we have forgotten those deep emotions and are left with only a photo of our morning cup of coffee to share and a mention of whether we slept well or not.
I was unable to send out my morning weather photo, not in itself a global crisis, but something I enjoy as part of my comfortable morning routine. I feel I can get on with my day after I have shared the glorious view with those who might be interested. I couldn’t tap out a quick message to let people know that the flamingos are in the Kom right now and give them an opportunity to go down there and enjoy their amusing antics as they scuffle and squabble in the shallows.
Those eagerly awaited messages from friends near and far remain locked in cyberspace – they don’t know they have not been received, and all will be old news by the time connectivity is restored. It will be like receiving a message in Morse code as each new one pings its notification!

So while I am disconnected from the social world, I think I’ll reconnect with those flamingos. See you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment