Tuesday 4 November 2014

Password problems

What a day at work today! We have a complicated system of passwords protecting the documents which we are working on and they are left off at peril of dismissal. Having had minimal training in this regard (perhaps a brief mention), I managed to send some documents by internal email to a colleague without a new password (not knowing that the existing one was no longer in operation) and was soon apprised of my error by The Boss. Dismissal is not an issue when you are on a short-term contract, but I was still very unhappy about my poor performance and spent the rest of the day deleting excess files and passwording the rest.

One particular file had been edited and sent to the academic in charge, who had returned it as approved. Turns out it had no password (didn't notice) and my changes had not been effected. So I was having a good old gripe with my colleague next door (we are in a communal office) about slackness, etc. The wrong password had been used by him the first time and so we decided to change it to the correct one and send it back for approval, in the hopes that he would take about an hour to figure it out. I somehow had assumed that he worked in the Johannesburg office.

Well, I later established that he in fact is in the same office as us (how's that for poor communication and not knowing your colleagues!). I at least have the excuse of only being on my fourth day there, but she has been working near him for months! He wasn't in the office for most of the day, but I have a horrible feeling that he may have been there for the changing the password story! Time will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment