Friday 7 November 2014

Hot and bothered!

Thoughts of roast chicken have flitted across my mind today. That d-a-a-a-a-r-n rooster next door cleared his throat at 4.50 this morning. Such a rude awakening allowed me to watch the full moon sinking down towards the horizon as the sky lightened. It also made it possible for me to observe the first rays of dawn catching the cliffs above Hout Bay and the Back Table. But it robbed me of another 45 minutes sleep which definitely affected my energy levels today. The temperature of 30 degrees didn't help, nor did the 40 minutes in the late afternoon stuck between the Sun Valley robots help. Rather than catch heatstroke through the window or overheat the engine, I pulled into the Longbeach Mall to do a little grocery shopping rather than tomorrow.

As I approached Mugg & Bean, a chair was pulled out for me to sit on, a menu and a newspaper appeared as if by magic and I was asked if I would like my usual cappuccino. Now that's how I like to be received at a restaurant! I succumbed to a pot of tea (much too hot for coffee) and a small salad before filling a trolley with vegetables, fruit and a few pieces of lamb. It was now an hour later and as I approached the robot, I could see that, far from having cleared, the traffic was now backed up way out of sight over Ou Kaapse Weg!

Some 40 minutes later I pulled into the garage at home, where the kids had fortunately sorted the household and were on their way out. It's going to be a quiet evening on the couch for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment