Saturday 22 November 2014

Getting things done

A modicum of normality has returned to the home of He Who Can Fix Anything. Now that the championship has been decided and racing is over for another year, some household projects can be tackled. The return of our son from London is viewed as a blessing (I now have home and garden help!) and all those niggly jobs are being ticked off. Of course, HWCFA is still trying to rule the roost, but even he has had to admit that the kids are all grown up now, even though they are all at home, and his word is no longer law! However, the law has never had to be laid down, and life is good.

I consider myself fortunate to have them still here, as with my octogenarian parents and sisters. The family remains intact on my side and Saturday mornings will generally find us brunching at a local nursery or maybe even the mall in inclement weather. It's a good way to catch up on each others' week, as we all lead busy lives - Mom and Dad in particular, who are always out at some interesting event, day or night. We tend to bump into another family of long-time friends (50 years or so, although it seems hard to believe), who are in similar circumstances and also enjoy a Saturday morning brunch at the nursery.

Even the plants in my garden have a history. The George lily that grows so prolifically in a pot on my balcony is from the original stock that my grandmother gave my mother way back in the 60s (or maybe even the 50s!) and have continued to multiply over the years. Today the first flower of the season burst open, completely unexpectedly, providing a splash of red among the greenery. It is a most rewarding bulb, with short leaves and a bloom that is substantial in proportion to the size of the plant. Last year I had continuous flowering for weeks, and I'm hoping this will be another good year.



No comments:

Post a Comment