Saturday 5 July 2014

Plunged into darkness

The electricity metre is in such an awkward place that although I thought about checking it a number of times yesterday, I didn't get around to it. Outside, it was cold and pitch dark with no moon, but I put on the outside lights so that K didn't have to come home to darkness. She's paranoid about darkness, despite the fact that whatever it is she thinks is there at night is also there during the day.

I was in a deep sleep when I was woken with a torch in my face. "Mom! There's no electricity!" Well, of course, we'd run out, hadn't we? What an inopportune time - just after midnight on the stormiest night of the year. While my mind resisted letting go of sleep, I struggled to think what to do about it. I couldn't buy it online because the ADSL doesn't work without electricity. There was nothing for it but for K to go to the local garage and buy some (lucky it's open 24 hours). So back outside she goes in the pitch dark, taking the torch with her, while I remain semi-comatose in my warm bed. Next thing the phone rings. Aarrgghh! She's taken the wrong card. Now I have to get up and look for an old slip to give her the number. No torch. Back to bedroom to find glasses and cellphone for light.

The light from the cellphone is too dim to read and I'm battling to get my eyes to focus even with glasses on. The only other torch I can think of is the 500 000 candle-power torch that shines from here to the top of the mountain. Well, that illuminated the piece of paper nicely! If I'd been properly awake I would have been able to remember all the other sources of light we have strategically placed in the house.

Five minutes later she is back and the code is punched in. Hurrah! Cup of tea, warm up supper in the microwave, back to bed. Then lie awake for three hours. Ah well.

You might wonder why we went to all this trouble in the middle of the night. The thought of a cold shower in the morning was just too horrendous!

No comments:

Post a Comment