Friday 4 July 2014

A strange and stormy day

It's been a very strange day, which I can only put down to the weather. I started off quite normally with getting up at 6 to give HWCFA his breakfast and take the dogs outside (you will remember I have to carry Susie as she is blind and can't negotiate 13 steps any more). Every day I take them out into the very dark back garden at 6am, and the most notable aspect of this daily routine is that not once in the last 6 or more months has it been raining at the particular time I have to go outside. A quite remarkable statistic, I think, and one for which I am extremely grateful.

Given today's stormy weather, which is rapidly turning to icy with forecast snow nearby, I don't think I'm going to enjoy tomorrow's early morning outing! If only someone would invent a litter tray for old doggies!

By mid-afternoon, my brain had tired of editing Maths Literacy and I packed up for the day, just as the rain became so heavy that the DStv signal was lost. Just when I was ready to be a couch potato! There was nothing for it but do dig out the DVDs.  Now I'm rather partial to watching the same old favourites over and over and today I was in the mood for the Sound of Music. I have been threatening my kids for years that I am going to make them sit on the couch with me and watch it from beginning to end, but somehow it's never happened. I can only say it is their loss and I hope they do watch it one day in their dotage. It holds a special place in my heart. Julie Andrews will always be my favourite singer/actress.

And now I am watching the Wimbledon Gentlemen's Doubles Invitational for the old guys. What a match! What fun and skill and warmth they have displayed: Henri Leconte (how can he be so old?) and the other three who I have to confess to never having heard of. A bit of light relief after the stressful competitiveness of today's top players. Anyone who is watching I am sure will agree that it has been the highlight of the last two weeks' play!

All in all, a strangely disjointed day, punctuated by kitties chasing each other all over the furniture and doggies constantly scratching at the door wanting to either go in or out. Somehow they weren't put off by the rain although I had to towel them dry every time they came back in.

No comments:

Post a Comment