Wednesday 30 July 2014

More time out with old friends

Another lazy, hazy winter dazy in Cape Town. How long can this Indian summer last? Tourists are out in force, knowing that winter always has sunshiny days between the rain that more than rival our summer - mainly because that infernal southeasterly wind is not howling!

An old friend (not so much of the old, I hear her say) and family joined me for breakfast at the local nursery and we spent the entire morning, not so much reminiscing on days gone by, but updating on where we are, our views on life, and generally having a good laugh. We need much more of that.

Getting home just about lunch time, I had no inclination to be indoors and so did the unthinkable - got out the rake and started sweeping up the leaves on the bricks - something He Who Can Fix Anything is totally obsessed about to the point of pedantry. And would you believe it, he turns up at home to fetch something for work - out of the blue - lucky I wasn't lying on the couch watching Dragons' Den! All I can say is, I certainly earned my Brownie points today! Probably enough to give me a good 3 weeks' leave of absence in the near future.

As he was closing the sliding gate, the little Jack Russell from next door ran into the garden and he and Monty instantly became the best of friends and had a play date for an hour or two. The neighbours appeared to be out, so he wasn't too interested in going home. After I eventually let him out again, Monty disappeared and I found him lying under the lemon tree. I immediately thought he was dead, as he has never done such a thing, and I rushed over and picked him up. It turns out, I think, that he was simply overcome by exhaustion and excitement at having such a young companion to play with, coupled with immense disappointment that the games were over. It took him a long while before he could run around again, but all seems well now, thank goodness. Imagine having to explain that one to HWCFA!

The sun has now set on this hazy day, either due to smoke, smog or dust blowing in from the Karoo with the easterly wind. The forecast was for clouds, but our weather is so changeable at the moment, it's best to just look out of the window from time to time. Enjoy a few pictures of a summery day.




No comments:

Post a Comment