Tuesday 6 May 2014

Not a good day!

What a day it’s been! It started off with the ADSL going on the blink yesterday afternoon, so this morning my priority was to go to the coffee shop to use their wi-fi, as I needed to check my emails, etc. You can’t run a business or two from home without internet access, not to mention my daily weather report on Facebook and my blog! Last night I phoned Telkom from my cellphone (land line another story altogether) and waited for 40 minutes before I finally got through to an operator, then 10 minutes trying to fix it with no luck. That cost me R200 in airtime. I remembered I could use one of my cellphones as a modem, so plugged that into my laptop and managed to download an email or two then saw to my dismay that the third one had an attachment of 13MB and quickly pulled that plug. That cost me R100 in airtime. What a disaster, considering I usually only use R150 in a month with normal usage.

So with the help of the free wi-fi, I downloaded the document, saved it on a flashdrive and went to the post shop to print it out. When I got home, I found that everything except my photographs had been deleted from the flashdrive – movies, music, downloads, bah! Who knows what happened there.
Made for the mall where I used Telkom’s free line (they answer immediately, no waiting for 40 minutes – I recommend it to everyone) and they said a technician would call me. As a backup, I bought R100 data bundle for my phone as it is much cheaper than airtime – talk about closing the stable door after the horse has bolted! I get home, plug the phone in and the computer won’t recognise the device. After much whinging and whining, the obvious occurred to me and I switched everything off and started again. Success! Downloaded some more emails, checked blog stats and Facebook.

I then turned my attention to a little housework and took a load of washing down the garden, where the wonderful sight of a hole in the fence, multiple attempts to dig its way out and all my beautiful spinach in tatters revealed that the dratted porcupine has once again decided to raid. The vegetable patch is in ruins (I almost took a picture yesterday, it was looking so good – and even considered picking the largest spinach leaves for dinner), and the compost heap has had a good going over. So it seems my dreams of an organic supply of home grown vegetables are never going to happen. It also bit open two packets of eco-friendly snail bait and scattered it everywhere, obviously not finding it to its taste. I tried to plug the hole in the fence but don’t hold out much hope there. My big concern is the dogs. They won’t be allowed out at night alone.
An owl ate something on the bamboo roof of the deck last night. I only realised this when I saw the mess on the table – it must have been a mouse as there were no feathers anywhere. Well crunched up – I hope it doesn’t make a habit of it, or if it does, it must at least roost there in the daytime so I can enjoy looking at it. Alternatively, it could have been the red chested sparrowhawk that has been hunting here every day, which is just as exciting but not while Mango Kitty is still so small.

Mango Kitty slipped off the edge of the deck and managed to grab the beam underneath where she was trapped. Fortunately we saw her slip and rushed to her rescue, but as I bent to lean over the edge, I cracked my head a terrible shot on the railing and saw stars for a long time.


It’s been an eventful day. But there is hot water in the shower, petrol in the car and food in the fridge, so I wouldn’t want you to think I have anything really important to complain about!!

No comments:

Post a Comment