Tuesday 1 April 2014

April Fool?

After being caught out by a posting of the planned upmarket development on Bird Island in Kommetjie (which instantly enraged me - I couldn't believe it!), I managed to survive the rest of April Fool's Day unscathed. It is a sign of the times, I suppose, that the only other jokes I saw related to politics, but then again, the politicians here provide endless material for our extremely talented and perceptive cartoonists to sharpen their pencils on.

My favourite joke of all time is the wind farm at Cape Point, and I still cannot understand why they haven't done it - it seems the ideal place for turbines, windswept and barren with no evidence of birds which might bump beaks on the blades. I can only think that the land area might be too small to sustain a practical number of these giant fans which dominate the landscape across Europe. And of course it is a nature area with thousands of tourists and they might not be amenable to driving around in close proximity to potential danger. But the real reason is possibly baboons. I would imagine they would have no difficulty scaling the towers and having a swinging time on the blades (although on reflection, that in itself could be a huge source of tourism revenue. When the southeaster is blowing at gale force across the plateau, bets could be placed on how far a baboon would be flung as it lost its tenuous grip on the tip of a blade and odds could be shortened if there was a chance of it landing in a particularly springy patch of fynbos.)

I'll leave it to you to decide if this is a serious proposition or not!


No comments:

Post a Comment