Wednesday 23 April 2014

Breaking in the new machine

Today I learned how to use my new toy - front-loading washing machine - with mostly success and some interesting moments! I experimented with the quick wash, which is for a few items of normal washing and took only 14 minutes - the previous machine took 14 minutes to do the spin cycle. It proved a resounding success. Next it was the turn of the towels - having used cold water washes for years now, I felt obliged to put them through a thorough drubbing at a high temperature. I set the machine, noting to my dismay that it would take two hours to wash seven towels, and went upstairs to get on with more exciting things than watch washing turn through the porthole.

I went downstairs to check on it half an hour later and can only say thank goodness I decided to install it in the garage rather than upstairs in the house! It was an attack of the foamies - it was gushing out via the soap dispenser! Grabbing the manual and thumbing through to Troubleshooting, I reached the part that said: Foam gushing out of soap dispenser (at least it was expected ) and was told I had used too much liquid detergent. I don't know how that can be because I used exactly the right dosage, although on reflection I must have used too much for the quick wash and it may have accumulated. There was nothing to do except wait for it do eventually rinse away and after the requisite two hours had elapsed, all was back to normal in the garage and I'm thrilled to say that the towels now have a new lease on life!

After that excitement, it was time to plod on with preparation for tonight's speech. I have to confess to being slightly worried about it, which is very unusual for me. Every time I practice it, the story comes out a different way, and I am being evaluated by a competition winner who is on his way, hopefully, to the international division. However, I can expect particularly close scrutiny and only hope I am able to withstand what is coming my way! Ah well, perhaps a little rescue remedy will help!

No comments:

Post a Comment