Friday 11 April 2014

A new look for a dark place in the garden

Today the neighbours cut down the ivy between our properties. It was only a matter of time before one of the many owners over the years decided they wanted a more attractive back yard and removed what was an effective sound and visual barrier. It created, over the last 20 years, a perpetually shaded area in our garden, where bromeliads, impatiens, clivias, plectranthus and other shade-loving plants have flourished (I say that reservedly, as my flourishing might to a green-fingered gardener seem quite dismal). They are now exposed to blue skies and sunshine - in summer - but for the moment the shadow cast as the sun moves northwards for winter will protect them. When September brings the return of sunlight to every corner of the garden, I will have to put up a shadecloth structure to shelter them from the fierce UV rays that burn their leaves.

But I can't say I'm unhappy to be rid of the overpowering darkness of the impenetrable vegetation, which has slowly been suffocating a coprosma and another unidentified but very pretty tree, and they will definitely benefit from the return of access to fresh air and sunshine, and the gaping holes which now reveal the neighbouring house will soon be filled with new growth. They assured me that they had thought the roots of the ivy were on my side, and I won't let on that I don't believe that for a moment, as I have secretly wished to be rid of the ivy for years, but HWCFA has a mania for privacy and only last week complained that it looked as though I had sawn through a big branch to try and kill it. I think it was anticipating its demise. He hasn't seen it yet and will only notice in a day or two, being away at the moment, so the fait accompli will be well established and even he won't be able to put the ivy back!

The neighbours are going to plant trees to replace the ivy and I trust their good judgment in that area. For myself, I will be planting a mandevilla or maybe even two - the exposed area is absolutely perfect and will make such a difference to my garden. So hopefully a potential disaster is going to turn into a golden opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment