Thursday 17 April 2014

Tossing and turning

What a night! Went to bed at 9 hoping for a good long sleep. Woke up thinking it must be about 3am, only to find it was 11.30! What a disaster. Got up to make tea and work on my speech for Toastmasters next week. Had another cup of tea and Marmite on rye. Played with Mango Kitty. That brought me to 1.15 when K arrived home from work and chatted a while. Did a bit of reading. Back to bed at 1.45. Lay awake until about 5am. Alarm went off at 6am.

I wouldn't mind having a busy brain that was bringing great ideas for moneymaking schemes to provide something essential to humanity, or another chapter or two of my book, or even just pleasant thoughts. But my mind lurches from emails I must send for work to thinking about the old days with schoolfriends, to counting sheep (literally, you imagine a sheep jumping over a fence - it nearly worked, the mind stilled, but then leapt onto another subject). I thought about fixing the cord of one of the blinds, about putting throws on the couches which are showing bad signs of wear and tear from years of good use or whether to have loose covers made. I pictured myself trimming branches in the garden and whether to put them on the compost heap or take them to the dump.

I got up a number of times to look at the moon and smell the sea air wafting in. I tried taking deep breaths of ozone. Nothing worked. I worried about whether I would get to sleep before the alarm went off. I made lists in my head of all the things I need to do - I should rather have got up and written them!

Lucky for me, I work from home and don't have to get in the car and drive for miles to sit in an office for 8 hours. I'm sure I'll be able to snatch 40 winks on the couch from time to time today. I feel ready for one now!

No comments:

Post a Comment