Tuesday 11 March 2014

Remodelling the man-cave

He Who Can Fix Anything has transformed his garage into a veritable man-cave, or rather, man-cavern, due to the proportions thereof. I went away for the weekend and when I returned, he had moved the bar area to the other side of a wall, lined the walls generously with shelving for his racing trophies, reconstructed the somewhat ancient and dilapidated bar counter/cupboard, re-wired the sound system for the relocation, shifted the fridge, moved the snooker table (single-handed, still don't know how), put in new lighting, carpeted the floor and sorted his years of sailing photographs.

Upstairs, the kitchen looked the same as when I had left on the Friday, with the addition of a few more pots, and a packet in the bin revealing a fast food outlet as the source of sustenance. So much for my efforts at feeding him only fresh and nutritious food. After dumping my bags on the floor and cleaning the kitchen, before even getting as far as my bedroom to unpack, I took a bucket of hot, soapy water down to the new man-cavern and proceeded to wash every last trophy, bar ornament and other knick-knacks gathered by this magpie over the years. If you think that women collect dust-gatherers, come and look at HWCFA's collection. You may wonder why I did this, after a relaxing weekend away in the country, and it did cross my mind as I restored everything to its former glory that I was a sucker for punishment, but after all the effort that had gone into the relocation, there was no way I was letting the dust be relocated too. I have to say the result of the weekend's activity is very pleasing and should have been done years ago.

However, upstairs I am waiting for two light fittings to be installed, a bathroom cupboard, a shower that needs to be fixed, potplants that need repotting and two blinds that need new strings. Some of this stretches back 32 years while others are more recent. I suppose we are all guilty of only doing the things we really want to, but I have to say that I think it's time I went away more often and for longer, so that this lot can have more time to miss me. About 6 months should do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment