Friday 28 March 2014

Insect info

I saw such a strange sight yesterday - about 20 individual spinning golden clouds of tiny insects, all about 3 feet above the ground and spaced evenly apart across a field at the side of the road. They looked like the sprays from an irrigation system, stretching upwards in a cone shape. Although I have seen similar swarms before, I have never seen them gathered en masse and I should have taken a photograph but had already travelled too far by the time I had worked out what they were. Perhaps they are as a result of the recent rains and a sudden flush of reproductivity before winter. They certainly made a most attractive display, literally glinting golden in the sunlight.

Speaking of insects, I have a resident praying mantis on the inside of my front balcony where she is very successful in catching the milkwood flies that sometimes gather in droves on the window. She elegantly snatched one from the air as I was watching the other morning and proceeded to eat it without further ado. These insects are not like other flies and are possibly a different species as they are quite slow and tend to hover around the branches rather than settle. I doubt that the geckos are too pleased to have her in their territory, but there's probably enough to go around.



Outside my bedroom window, the three bats were kept busy catching mosquitoes last night, but they missed quite a few and I spent the night swatting into the darkness and scratching my feet and fingers, which seem to be the bits they enjoy the most. Hopefully the bat population will increase in time, but so far we have never had more than three in all the years we have been here. They live under the eaves and sometimes come into the house which is always cause for excitement as I rush around opening doors to give them an escape route. At least they never crash into anything, unlike the frequently trapped pigeons which flutter panic-stricken from picture frame to picture frame!

I haven't been out to check on the golden orb spiders at the end of the garden, but I'm sure they are still there. Will let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment