Tuesday 18 February 2014

Catching a wave

On a hot and windy February day, Kommetjie has seen some of the biggest seas in a long time, made all the more impressive by the fantastic 'manes' of spray blowing 60 feet or more off the wave crests. I went down to the catwalk to get a good dose of ozone and spent an hour taking hundreds of photos with my little cellphone, totally caught up in the adrenalin rush of crashing water, scores of surfers and boardsailors, excited dogs and an abundance of seaspray in the air.






You won't be able to appreciate the size of the breaks on the horizon, but they were impressive, and I stopped to chat to a man who was taking photos with a lens about 18 inches long, and he told me he was taking pictures as a reference because he painted the sea. Funny you should say that, I said, and we had a long talk about the merits of various whites and blues and greens and how to get the see-through effect and mutual artist acquaintances. He wants to visit my studio at home and would like me to give him some lessons, but I assured him that all I could give him was encouragement, and we'll see what develops from there!

There were some very accomplished surfers of very young age out there, proud daddies lining the shore and whistling and gesticulating when they thought their progeny were too far out at the back. Lots of potential for the pro circuit down here in little Kommetjie!

No comments:

Post a Comment