Friday 7 February 2014

Random thoughts and a picture

It's been days since I posted a blog, which unfortunately means that I have found nothing worth saying! Life continues as usual: work, work, work (thank goodness!), Tai Chi when I get the chance and coffee with good friends to lift the spirits and give the fingers and eyes a break. Computers definitely take their toll on the human body and I often wonder whether, in many years from now, we will be told that excessive use is a leading cause of eye disease or curvature of the spine! I know for sure it causes stultification of the brain.

Here in Cape Town, the late summer days continue to be a delight, with temperatures in the high 20s and very little wind to speak of making life very comfortable, thank you. Foreign visitors flock to our shores at this time of year as they know this is the best time to enjoy all that we have to offer - school children are back behind their desks, the wind free days are usually at their maximum and chances of rain are at a minimum.

This morning I was awoken by the ghostly booming of a foghorn creeping in from the sea. Looking out of the window, I see nothing but blue skies and the sea is visible far out to sea, so I can only imagine the ship must be going through a pocket of fog quite far out. The forecast is for cloud and cooler weather, but that is no cause for alarm as cooler is great for the garden. The birds are out in force, with a flock of grey-headed sparrows to be found pecking on the lawn every day - with all the food and water I have been giving to my plants this summer, it is looking jungle-like and even the cat can now lie hidden like a lion in the long grass, doubtless with an eye on one of those sparrows for a snack. My favourite flock of sacred ibis has just flown overhead on their way to their feeding grounds down at Soetwater, just beyond the lighthouse. The flock is much smaller than it used to be, but it may be that they have split into groups and take off at different times.

I hope that the weekend will bring something exciting to relate, but in the meantime, here is a totally random picture to enjoy: It's a view from Franschhoek towards Stellenbosch in the late afternoon of a summer's day.


No comments:

Post a Comment