Thursday 13 February 2014

Wash-day blues

For many years I have clung to the belief that most women's conversations revolve around the ordinary, everyday world of household chores, bringing up children and complaining about men. While I am not all that averse to the latter, I have always strenuously avoided being involved in the first two discussions, but it has now become imperative that I find someone who can tell me about laundry!

Over the last six months or so, my washing has on most occasions come out of the machine dirtier than when it went in. Sometimes the washing powder is stuck to the clothes, not even dissolved! I have tried new powders and have now moved on to liquid detergents without luck. It is a toploader and my feeling is that the dirt is getting deposited on the laundry as the water drains out, rather than the dirt being dissolved in the water.

Putting on a smaller load hasn't helped, nor has filling the machine with water from the hot tap and doing a cycle - that just drained out after the first round and it filled up with the usual room temperature cold water.
And the lint! Don't get me started on the lint! It adheres to every crease in the cotton items, necessitating vigorous brushing with a clothes brush once dry, although you might think it had been superglued on!

You might ask why He Who Can Fix Anything hasn't at least opened the machine up to look for the obvious things like clogged pipes and blocked filters - well, he did have a half-hearted look during the motor racing season, but the inside of a washing machine doesn't hold the same interest as a V8 engine and very little transpired from his cursory glance. I had a look myself but couldn't locate a problem.

I think I should take a load to the laundrette and see how it works out there just to make sure it's the machine and not the detergent.

And that must rank as the most boring topic I have ever had the displeasure of writing about! But if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment