Saturday 22 February 2014

Aerial view of the Cape Peninsula

A lovely, shiny little red plane is circling low over the Kom, causing multiple panic in the pigeonry! Is it the Red Baron? No, I suspect it is someone giving a wave waggle to a friend who lives here - why else would a recreational plane fly so low? I rushed out to wave but it was gone before I could take a picture - I can never find my phone when I need it.

There's always some kind of aerial activity along this coastline, which is possibly alone in the scope of natural beauty available in such a small area as the Peninsula. I was once lucky enough to take a helicopter ride and snap these views, although they wouldn't allow me to lean out to avoid the reflection from the perspex!

This is where I live and walk every day - what a paradise, filled with exciting things to observe - snakes, porcupines, baboons, otters, the ever-changing sea, spectacular aloes of every colour and variety, ancient milkwoods providing dark shade on the hottest days and of course, birds, birds, birds.

The fairest Cape in all the circumference of the globe - Sir Francis Drake - and he didn't see it from above! The south-western tip of Africa, where two oceans do NOT meet, there is simply a mingling of ocean currents and a prevailing wind that prevents the growth of any vegetation higher than your head!

Fish Hoek looking towards the far-distant mountains of the Swartland across the Cape Flats. The patch on the sea is a reflection inside the helicopter! Somerset-West and Stellenbosch to the right and Kalk Bay harbour in the centre.


If you ever have the opportunity to do this trip, I highly recommend it. You will be able to spot all the sharks along the coastline on a clear day!

No comments:

Post a Comment