Tuesday 19 February 2013

Ski pole guinea pig

Full-on winter in Cape Town today. Don't you just love it? I took the opportunity of the cool weather (and in fact put on a jerkin - yes, you will find that in the dictionary) to try out the walking poles I have been given to test.

They are made in Sweden and resemble ski poles, which is not something we are familiar with here in the Cape. For some years now, people have taken to walking with ski poles, looking slightly odd, I have always thought, but these are a new variety called BungyPump. They have hydraulics so that, as you walk, you can apply downward pressure and hence exercise your entire upper body as well. They claim to burn 77% more calories than ordinary walking, pump 18% more oxygen through your blood and exercise 90% of your muscles. This sounds absolutely wonderful, as walking is the only exercise that appeals to me anyway.

Off I set along the road towards the lighthouse, thinking that I wouldn't see a soul, but every woman and her dog jogged past me, and no one gave me a second glance, so I either didn't look as strange as I thought, or they saw me coming from far off and decided to cross the road!

There is no doubt that I could feel my whole body getting a workout and yet it was not too strenuous - I didn't walk for more than 20 minutes, as I am only a 'beginner'. I must say that it was pleasant exercise and I am looking forward to tomorrow. I have to fill in a questionnaire relating to the results I obtain from the BungyPump and, based on the response from those testing the walking poles, they either will or won't be imported into South Africa. If the results are good, I am hoping to be able to keep the poles, or at least get them at a favourable rate!

The brochure promises health, fitness, strength, endurance and weight loss. I'll let you know.


No comments:

Post a Comment