Thursday 21 February 2013

Busy day, doing this and that

It's been another busy day. Started out with cappuccino under the milkwood trees with a good friend and a really interesting discussion of this and that. A cold wind blew in from the sea from time to time, reminding us that summer is nearly over, and eventually forcing us out into the sunshine to continue with the day.

This was followed by a glass of water with another new friend and a really interesting discussion of this and that, but in the sun. It became too hot to sit in the sun any longer and when I checked the time, I realised that in half an hour I had to be at a restaurant up the road (yes, the Pickled Fish!) for a celebratory lunch with Mom and Dad for their 61st wedding anniversary.

On the way home, I picked up some copy paper and a couple of flipfiles - I am making hard copies of my blogs to compile various short books I am planning - collected my Lotto winnings (R34) and forgot to buy bread.

We had a delightful time under the pine trees at Imhoff Farm, where as usual the food was delectable, and the air just the right temperature, it being a south wester and not a south easter. Wind direction is an extremely important factor to consider when doing anything outdoors in  Cape Town. I think it must be because we live on such a narrow strip of land projecting into the ocean and are subject to the vagaries of every meteorological phenomenon, causing many different weather extremes over a very small area. Once again, as the air cooled, we were compelled to depart for warmer climes.

 I had barely got home and begun with watering the garden when I received a call from He Who Can Fix Anything that he was bringing a snoek home and we could do it on the fire. As I hadn't planned dinner anyway, that was for once good news, so I chopped the wood and lit the fire. While waiting for the coals to be ready, he fiddled in the garage with something and the next thing I knew, he had set up a solar panel (he's had it lying around somewhere for years without telling me) and lit up a light bulb. How easy was that?! He is planning to fix it up to run the computer or TV and the lights. After all this time. It really is very handy to have a handyman for a husband, except that he only works on things he is interested in, not necessarily what needs to be done.

I suppose that is pretty much the way it is for all of us.

Oh, the snoek was delicious - the best we have had in years!

No comments:

Post a Comment