Friday 9 March 2012

Strange things people keep in their deep freeze

There used to be a pie shop in Hout Bay where you could get a variety of strange fillings, including crocodile. I have no idea why. I bought my pizza bases there and one day was in the shop while the German owner was chatting to some customers. I mention the word German purely to illustrate that I did not know what he was saying to them. As he talked, he went over to the deep freeze where the pizza bases were kept and pulled out what looked like a patterned french loaf.

Turning to face me, with an evil look and a mad laugh, he poked it in my face. I screamed impressively enough to crack a wall as I realised that it was a puff adder, frozen solid. Everyone fell about laughing, especially him, but despite my normally extremely good sense of humour, I failed to see the joke. All I could think was, what an absolutely revolting thing to keep in a deep freeze, especially one storing food for sale to the public. It wasn't even clingwrapped!

I left without my pizza bases and never ever went back. I can only to think that his joke bit him in the bum, as the shop is no longer there.

No comments:

Post a Comment