Friday 16 March 2012

Our cats #1

Aren't cats marvellous creatures? They have such distinct personalities. I have four, each unique in its degree of obtuseness. My ideal cat lazes in the sun, purrs when you stroke it, laps gently at its bowl of milk and catches the odd mouse. My cats do not fit into this category.
Cat #1: Fluffy (the smoothest cat on the planet). Age 19. Rugged outdoor type in youth. Used to bring a rat home from the rocks at the beach every night and disembowel it on the kitchen floor, as a present for me. Nickname Slasher due to his habit of swiping at me with his claws if I passed too close. Now in his dotage, he has become a house cat, sleeping in the sun all day and peeing in the most inappropriate places.
Cat #2: Mittens (black with white paws). Age 19. Fluffy's sister. Small and dainty. Has spent most of her life in my daughter's room. Starting to go outside now. Only drinks water from a running tap.
Cat #3: Tiggy/Zoot. Age 14. Ginger chinchilla type - Daddy was a travelling man. Very beautiful but inclined to bite savagely. After a traumatic attack (perhaps by a caracal), refuses to come inside and sleeps on the fence, winter and summer. Doesn't mind getting wet or cold. Appears invincible. Often falls off the fence while sleeping.
Cat #4: Felix - turned out to be a girl. Age 9. Calico. Given to crazy careering around the house, sliding on mats and over the furniture. Scared of people during the day. Sleeps on my bed at night. My dog's best friend. Also drinks from a running tap.
Nobody is allowed to bring another kitten to this house. I yearn for the day when only people live here, but I'm sure that will never come. They'll sneak one in somehow.

1 comment:

  1. What would we do without our cats? My three (Fluffy, Pounce and MrCat) are feral siblings born in our garden last year. Only you'd never think they had feral beginnings when you see the way they sit on the kitchen table and grab at your arm as you walk towards the fridge - Prrrmmm - Miiiilk? Nowwww!Miaaoow!Right now! Pleease!

    ReplyDelete