Thursday 8 January 2015

Zip-lining - testing my vertigo!

In the words of a good friend, "Today Hestia became Athena!" While that may be stretching the imagination a bit far, maybe the eagle did take to the wing. I have never felt comfortable with heights and wobble on a ladder. The thought of bungee jumping makes the stomach turn and a trip in an elevator to the top of even a moderate-sized building makes me lightheaded. The Empire State Building will never be conquered by this vertiginous soul.

But today I went zip-lining on what I believe is the highest and longest zip-line in South Africa. SA Forest Adventures have set up a tour at Silvermist Estate at Constantia Nek, and somewhat rashly two schoolfriends and I booked an adventure. Heidi has zip-lined before and was so excited that she barely slept last night, she told us. I have given it as little thought as possible, owing to my dislike of heights. I wouldn't call it a fear or phobia, just very uncomfortable on a mountain ledge. Fear is not my middle name.

We booked the early morning slot to avoid the heat of the day and were hooked up into our harnesses before clambering on to the game-viewing vehicle which took us up a steep and very rough track to almost the top of the Constantiaberg. Breathtaking views of the back of Table Mountain and across the Peninsula helped to keep my mind off the prospect of being attached to the first zip-line which seemed to stretch forever to the distant cliff face.





Two young and very entertaining guides ensured that everyone knew the rules and how to get out of trouble i.e. missing the landing platform and our group then commenced the journey along 7 different lines of varying distance and velocity, the highest being a drop of 155m and the longest 500m. Once you get going, there is no turning back, and after the first zip I felt completely off balance and not at all sure that I would enjoy the next 6. But as I say, there is no turning back and no room for sissies, and each line did get easier, although I think I could have relaxed into the harness more and relied less on gripping the overhead roller - there was no need to support myself as there are two connections and safety is assured. My shoulders will have a story to tell tomorrow!

Some zips had to be done in tandem as we were going into the wind and would not have been heavy enough singly to make it to the next platform. The person at the back has to act as the brake and we had a bit of a close call by not slowing down enough - the guide fortunately had the emergency 'brake' in place as we hurtled towards a metal pole, my eyes like saucers! I must point out that we would not have crashed, although many jokes were made!

I haven't yet concluded whether or not it was enjoyable - I think I tried to block out the idea of where I was and just concentrated on getting to the other side! I never missed a platform, so I couldn't have been too bad at it, but I struggled with the walks between a few of them as they were up very steep mountainside. The guides made me sit down and rest (made me feel quite old, but I did have to) and actually took off the heavy slider to lessen the weight I had to carry! I've never been good at hills.

Overall, it was a great experience tempered by perhaps the closest I have ever been to petrified! I would recommend it, but not for those who are genuinely afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment