Friday 16 January 2015

Another sudden squall

At 3 o'clock this morning I was woken by rain splashing on my face. No, I was not lying outside on the lawn having fallen asleep watching Comet Lovejoy. The rain was blowing in through the slightly ajar window of the bedroom and the wind was of such strength that it reached the bed. I have to say that in all the years of living here I have never been woken in that manner. The weather patterns have changed so much in the last few decades that it is difficult to know what season we are in from one day to the next, and even from morning to evening. The severity of the weather systems also increases every year, with generally stronger winds in both winter and summer. The temperatures have also been more extreme on both ends of the thermometer. Such is the cycle of life.

With not having to water the garden, it has been quite a relaxing day with plenty of time to do all the essentials - coffee with friends, a little light shopping at the deli next door, check the mailbox (empty, yay!) - then home, because I remembered a friend was coming round with a fresh yellowtail and I was going to make pickled fish! While I was out, he cleaned, skinned and sliced it ready for the pan, and within 45 minutes I had made 2kg of delicious pickled fish. The recipe says it will last for 6 weeks, but I can't imagine who could keep it that long - we will probably finish it by Tuesday!
I also found a gammon at the bottom of the deep freeze that had missed Christmas dinner, so that was cooked up in a pot of cola and sliced for cold cuts over the next few days. I anticipate very little cooking over the weekend, apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment