Saturday 24 January 2015

Blowing hot and cold

Woke up at 5.30 to the cracked crowing of the bantam rooster next door. I am told that I am lucky it's a bantam, as the big chickens have a far stronger voice! I had to drag myself out of bed as I had to get to town early for a Toastmasters training conference and admittedly it was rather nice to be outside in the cool of the morning on a windless day in Cape Town. As I drove round the curves of De Waal Drive into the City Bowl, I could see across the city to the calm waters of Table Bay, and there, gliding gracefully into Duncan Dock, was a pretty little white cruise ship, the MSC Opera. My ship had come in! At last!

But in the meantime, duty had to be done, and final preparations and packing for the cruise would have to wait. Outside the conference venue, the air was on a little on the warm side - about 30 degrees - and inside the airconditioning was 16 - not much warmer than a fridge. Presumably that was to keep everyone on their toes. An informative and inspiring morning developed, with plenty of things to think about regarding what we can contribute to the growth of others as well as ourselves through membership of Toastmasters.

After lunch, it was back home to the cooler climate of Kommetjie, where of course the fog had rolled in and obscured the sun for the rest of the day. Foghorns booed eerily from beyond the breakers as ships' captains still retain the good old-fashioned method of announcing their presence in fog - a big noise! The shore break is still thundering across the bay as I sit here on the balcony, although hidden behind the fog, and I am thankful that whatever inclement weather is upon us should be gone by Monday.

I have this romantic vision of us setting sail from the Waterfront in the gentle peach glow of the setting sun as it lights up the cliffs of Table Mountain, with a smooth sea at our bow and a gentle breeze to cool us as we lean on the railings. Here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment