Friday 9 January 2015

A pictorial bird blog!

As a member of an avid birdwatching family, I remember family holidays as being punctuated by frequent screechings to a halt at the side of the road to look at a buzzard on a telephone pole or a grassbird clinging to a stalk in a wheatfield. It is true that the observation of birds can be a very interesting pastime and although I have joined in this occupation much later in life, mainly due to getting my eyesight sorted out, I find that the birds have all waited for me to catch up, so it's never too late to become a twitcher. These pictures are of the birds who pass through my garden or airspace regularly.
The sacred ibis that fly overhead every morning and evening in elegant formation - here they are descending for the day's feeding on the rocks
A few of the pigeons we feed - the population has, of course, vastly increased due to the plentiful food supply, but on the other hand, they provide a perfect supply of food for the raptors

One of the black sparrowhawks that prey on the pigeons. You won't believe how many feathers float down after a hit.

This dove and a juvenile fiscal shrike enjoyed a little companionship

This night heron normally roosts in a nearby cedar tree and seemed a bit grumpy to be on the roof

I rescued this little double-collared sunbird from the cats. A few days later, they had it again, and this time managed to pull all its tail feathers out, but I caught it again and it did fly away. I hope it stays well out of reach.
My favourite, the boubou shrike
We are often treated to a visit by a large flock of flamingos collectively known as a flamboyance!

A recent visitor and not seen before - a juvenile peregrine falcon. Will keep feeding those pigeons!

No comments:

Post a Comment