Thursday 20 June 2019

Dodge those demos!

Is it only me, or do all of the 'miracle' products demonstrated at expos and flea markets only work for the demonstrator?
I have a drawer full of vegetable peelers that can do everything except cook the food - slice, trim, de-eye, julienne, radish roses, chips, etc. But all I can manage is to scrape off the outer skin rather inadequately, mainly because the implement is not a shape that easily fits into my hand and is perhaps better wielded by a man. The cutting blade is so sharp as to be positively dangerous, and yet I cannot buy a kitchen knife that can slice a tomato. I can finely shred my nails and finger tips, but struggle with peeling potatoes. And as for the 'attachments' that make these peelers even more versatile, say no more. I defy anyone to remember what they actually do by the time you get home.
Another scam is the cleaning lotion that will turn the filthiest pots and ovens into sparkling new condition. You think that your oven doesn't remotely resemble the charred, grease-encrusted bit of metal that the man is demonstrating the product on. When you try it at home, absolutely no results! My favourite way of cleaning stubborn ovens is to buy a new one!
I am determined to no longer stop to watch any demonstrations, no matter how smooth-talking and charming the young man is, although I can only admire their skill in persuasiveness and public speaking (there must be a better career out there). I am absolutely certain that the product will not work for me. I have a cupboard full of proof!

No comments:

Post a Comment