Sunday 2 June 2019

Six years ago, sleet.


My newsfeed reminded me of this extraordinary event on this day in 2013 - sleet in Cape Town. The weather pattern has changed so much since this day, perhaps it was a forerunner of the chaotic conditions we now face, with rain forecasts so often wrong and winters becoming warmer, it seems. 
Here is my short blog of the event, as apparently it was too cold to sit at my computer. Today I am in summer clothes.

2 June 2013

If this is winter in Cape Town, I'm flying Coconut Airways to Barbados!

Today has brought hail like we have never seen before. It looks like snow - not something we are used to in the streets of Cape Town. The wind is coming straight from Antarctica and it is only 11 degrees inside the house, which is normally very warm. We don't have a fireplace or a heater, as a wooden house seems to be much warmer than brick, or at least this one is. In winter the sun streams into all the rooms and the garages underneath keep a warm pocket of air underneath us. But the hail or sleet that has just come down is not even melting!

It is as though the cold front is coming in bands, as each downpour is followed by bright sunshine, which makes it slightly easier to cope with. My hands are frozen as I type this, so will have to give up now...


No comments:

Post a Comment