Monday 3 September 2018

Out and about, rain pending

As the days grow longer and our water tanks are full from recent rains, life seems to be returning - everything is green, spirits are lifted by the sunshine and general greenery, dams are filling and birdlife in the garden is prolific. Three times last year's number of whales are visiting our southern seas, so things are looking good for them too.
Tomorrow we head off at the crack of dawn, in fact before, for the West Coast National Park to hike through the flowers. As luck would have it, rain is predicted later in the day, and as we are no longer allowed to wish for no rain, we are pinning our hopes on a late arrival! The traffic nightmare means leaving home at 6am to get there by 8.30, so wish me luck.
Later this week, I head out to Leeuwenboschfontein for the Spring Star Party - last year I camped in a flimsy tent and somehow had forgotten socks. The day before, snow had fallen on the mountains nearby and every night the temperature plummeted to 2 degrees. The partygoers came to see if I was alive every morning, and I was, despite shivering wide awake all night in every bit of clothing I could find. On the last night, the temperature rose to a balmy 8 degrees and I had to throw off  my blankets!
Again, rain is forecast. The days in between all outdoor events are perfect early spring sunny days, but as soon as we need to be outdoors, rain is on the menu. That's what we get for all that praying for rain - we should have been a little more specific!
Further revelations will follow after these events, which I am determined to enjoy no matter what the weather turns out to be!
Last year at Leeuwenboschfontein!!

No comments:

Post a Comment