Tuesday 29 August 2017

Striding it out

There's no other way to ease yourself into a whole new way of life than to just go for it! So best foot forward and on to the next hike. Never in a million years would I have imagined that I, who struggled to motivate myself to walk to a nearby palm tree, would clamber straight up a mountain (one that I have looked at admiringly for nearly my entire life, simply for just being there) and down again for any conceivable reason.
Just four days after exhausting myself on Steenberg Peak, the hike was up Cecilia Ravine to the waterfall, across to Kirstenbosch and then back down again (obviously). Towering gum trees reached up before us as we commenced the trail in Cecilia Forest. They grow spectacularly straight, and are awe-inspiring, as was the view of the mountain we were about to ascend. Soon we were steadily climbing, up through the damp forest, tangled roots giving a foothold on the slippery path. Rain was forecast but it was windless and not cold, and it looked as though it might hold off. The sounds of the forest were many - unidentified bird calls, the squeaking of branches rubbing against each other, the huffing and puffing of yours truly. Many brief stops were required to regain breath and enthusiasm for another bout of hauling myself up rocks - I was not the only one, but that was nothing to brag about, being the youngest of the group. And still we climbed...
Towards Muizenberg
Cecilia waterfall at a trickle



Path a bit rocky at times
Onward and upward
Those are people on the left

Looking down towards the dam at Kirstenbosch

It took an hour and a half to reach the waterfall, which was more of a beaded curtain than a raging torrent due to the poor winter rains, and coffee and a rusk was like manna from heaven, even though perched on a cold, damp rock. The alternative was mud. It was very beautiful up there. Again the views were vast and so worth the climb. The variety of flora emphasised once more how fortunate we are to live in the midst of the Cape Floral Kingdom. If I didn't have to look down all the time to ensure a steady foothold on the sometimes treacherous path, I could have spent the whole day up there just poking around in the undergrowth, photographing the myriad species. However, these are hikes, not journeys of botanical discovery, and I make do with the odd photo of whatever hangs over the path.
 

 
As we began the descent, the heavens opened, and once again, although we were all sweating from exertion, it was on with the all-weather gear, except for me, who had forgotten same. I did bring an umbrella, though, and it served me well, although not traditional gear for hiking! I laughed to myself all the way down the extremely steep descent (consisting of knee-high steps that were tricky to negotiate if you are vertically challenged and have short legs), simply at the fact that I was even there. The use of a walking stick is invaluable and doesn't make me feel at all decrepit.
Suddenly the rain was over, the jeep track stretched out enticingly before us - but no, we took a sharp left and continued straight down the slippery slope, simply because it was shorter. By the time we got back to the cars, our clothes were practically dry and the agonies of the climb were but a memory, soon to be fond.

No comments:

Post a Comment