Sunday 27 August 2017

Following in Dad's footsteps

Although I have taken some successful photos with the new camera, there is no getting away from the fact that if you have a camera that can do just about anything except talk, you have to switch off the Auto and start using all the features. This means studying the manual and practising! Having left studies behind me so long ago I can't remember, the thought of such intense concentration leaves me feeling exhausted before I have begun. But needs must.
I downloaded the manual - 245 pages. I skimmed through it, realising that what I really need is someone to teach me how to use it. And who better for such a task than dear old Dad, who was an avid photographer and the oldest member of the Photographic Club until his passing in May? Who would have known that within weeks of losing him, I would need to draw on his nearly 90 years of knowledge in so many areas - birds, plants, photography - my real-life Google!? He must be laughing. Oh well, too late now. At least I can be sure he is delighted that I have at last taken up some of his hobbies, having laid all the groundwork for these interests when we were children. Trips into the countryside on weekends sometimes seemed to involve more reversing than going forward, and it's not for nothing that confirmed twitchers have stickers on their back windows saying 'prone to sudden stops'.
But on reflection, what it proves is that you can't tell people what they should do or like; lead by example and you will be surprised by the influence you have on others. Dad certainly did and the pleasure to be gained from following in his footsteps is his legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment