Sunday 13 December 2015

Ships that pass

Living next to the sea (almost) affords me a great opportunity to see a variety of sea-going vessels if I look out of the window often enough! The quality of the photos depends on the time of day and amount of haze - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! (I believe I have already mentioned my request to Father Christmas is for a R20 000 camera.)
The window of opportunity to take these photos is literally that - the amount of time the ship takes to cross the much-reduced sea view. The tankers and container vessels are usually quite far out and I can set up the camera as I go outside onto the balcony, but the fishing boats and yachts are more challenging as they are just behind the reefs close off the island. I think that adds to the fun and excitement! Sometimes I miss altogether, but soon something else comes along.
The shapes are what make them interesting, and these provide quite a variety. A new thing I have noticed is that the container vessels have the stern well above the water - perhaps the captains were tired of the rumblings from the propeller shaft or whatever. Would be interesting to know!






No comments:

Post a Comment