Tuesday 8 December 2015

Nourish or neglect?

I planted a rose in memory of my mother in a container on the deck, where I can see it every day. Before the rose, I grew tomatoes in it, and obviously lots of seeds remained to germinate. When new plants emerged, I transplanted some to another container, not wanting to smother the rose, but of course I didn't give that tomato any rose food granules, did I? After all, it's for roses. And I have to confess to not being much of a plant feeder, being inclined to let them battle for survival.

Along with the rose, I planted some lettuces as it looked quite lonely in the big container, and a few alyssum. Well, rose food is not just for roses. The lettuces grow visibly before my eyes and I can pick a salad every second day. The alyssum is cascading down the sides of the container and the tomato plant is four feet high. After its first bloom, the rose looked a bit quiet, but suddenly three new shoots have shot skywards, looking strong and promising further fine blooms in time for Christmas. It is a veritable jungle in a container!
Alas, the unfed tomato is but a mere seedling still, clinging to life on the other side of the deck. I am going to feed it today and have promised not to let it die.
As with everything in life, the way we treat things, whether people, animals, plants and even the earth we live on, has a huge effect on their wellbeing and very existence. Are we going to nourish and nurture, or neglect and abuse? The choice is ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment