Tuesday 14 October 2014

A blooming good time!

I'm enjoying the fruits (or rather, flowers) of my labour in the garden over winter as everything is flourishing, in fact, almost jungle-like. It's time to get out the secateurs, loppers and hand saws to trim the milkwood, which has grown like lightning since it became part of the inside garden in 2008. It started its life as a seedling in a tin, and spent 10 years root-bound in the tin before it was given to me for my garden in 1982. I planted it outside the fence and as a result it received no attention and no water for the better part of 26 years (is that possible?). I put it down to a milkwood being  slow-growing tree, but that is a fallacy. Given food and water, it has quadrupled in size in 6 years and I have shaped the inside to provide a bower of peace and tranquillity in that corner of the garden. Clivias and bromeliads thrive in its shade and robins and other small garden birds hop about in its branches.

The hibiscus, which suffered the same fate as the milkwood (being outside the fence), was a semi-bonsai for the same number of years until I fed and watered it and it is now producing the most beautiful flowers.
2008
2014
 
 This year I am trying roses again and here is the first bloom.



No comments:

Post a Comment