Wednesday 12 December 2012

More nocturnal visitors

The porcupine is back. At four o'clock this morning the dogs jumped off the bed and ran outside and Monty took a long time to come back in, which should have been a warning. As it was still dark, he eventually returned to his place at my feet and we dozed a little until it got light at about 4.45, when they again ran outside and Monty once again stayed out, occasionally giving one of those enquiring woofs to let me know that he was interested in something.

So up I get and trundle out into the garden only to find that the excavations have begun again and there is a two-foot deep hole against the fence where we filled it in with concrete blocks and wire netting last time the porcupine destroyed my garden. He couldn't get out there and tried at various other places, eventually forcing his way through the wire mesh. 

I got a spade and started filling in the ditch while Monty continued his sniffing up and down the fence. At that stage I didn't know where the new hole was and did a recce round the garden to see if it was still inside. In the meantime, Monty had found the hole and before you could blink, had escaped across the spare plot next door and headed off for the beachfront.

Into the shower - got to go after the dog, otherwise he will be gone for hours and I always worry that someone will take him home even though he has a tag, or even worse, get knocked over. Luckily for me, my daughter got up to investigate what I was doing and went off in the car to look for him. She found him down at the Kom, happily running with two dogs and a couple of cyclists, and between the three of them, she managed to recapture the escapee and bring him back home.

Once again the porcupine has punctured the irrigation system, which now has more joins that piping, so it's out with the duct-tape until I can get that sorted out. I put another concrete block in front of the hole, but today my son will have to devote himself to scheming up a plan to keep the porcupine out. I think we will have to leave food on the other side of the fence, and water in case that is all he is looking for.


Hey ho. The joys of living on the perimeter of a national park with its accompanying wildlife. Could be worse, I suppose.


No comments:

Post a Comment